Furniture from Appomattox Court House, Virginia, 1865
The chairs used by Generals Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant as well as the table on which Grant signed the terms of surrender to end the Civil War were quickly taken as souvenirs by Union officers. In the early twentieth century these relics were reunited in the Smithsonian. Grant's chair (right) was bequeathed in 1906, the table arrived in 1912, and Lee's chair (left) was donated in 1915.
Civil War, Furniture and Furnishings, Military History